Thursday, February 24, 2005

Graduate Students Take a Stand

The spirit of the old labor movement seems to be showing some signs of life on university campuses of all places. There have been some rumors that graduate students at Yale, University of Pennsylvania, and Columbia University are planning a strike. Here's the interesting part: according to the NLRB, graduate students do not have collective bargaining rights. Last summer, the Board overturned the precedent established in New York Univ., 332 NLRB 1205 (2000), and held that graduate students, who spend a good deal of their time teaching classes, grading papers, and performing other duties that used to be left to tenured professors, are not statutory employees under the NLRA. See Brown University, 342 NLRB No. 42 (2004). This ruling stripped graduate students of their right to form unions despite the fact that their relationship to their schools has become less and less academic and increasingly economic. As the dissent in Brown explained (citations omitted):

[The majority's] decision is woefully out of touch with contemporary academic reality . . .. The result of the Board’s ruling is harsh. Not only can universities avoid dealing with graduate student unions, they are also free to retaliate against graduate students who act together to address their working conditions . . . .

Today, the academy is also a workplace for many graduate students, and disputes over work-related issues are common. As a result, the policies of the Act—increasing the bargaining power of employees, encouraging collective bargaining, and protecting freedom of association—apply in the university context, too. Not only is the majority mistaken in giving virtually no weight to the common-law employment status of graduate assistants, it also errs in failing to see that the larger aims of federal labor law are served by finding statutory coverage here . . ..

"[A]s financial support for colleges and universities lag behind escalating costs, campus administrators increasingly turn to ill-paid, overworked part- or full-time adjunct lecturers and graduate students to meet instructional needs." By December 2000, 23.3 percent of college instructors were graduate teaching assistants . . ..

The reason for the widespread shift from tenured faculty to graduate teaching assistants and adjunct instructors is simple: cost savings. Graduate student teachers earn a fraction of the earnings of faculty members . . ..

Apparently, the graduate students at Yale, Penn, and Columbia have taken this dissent to heart.

13 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My understanding was that this ruling applies only to private universities. Does anyone know if this is so? Public employees at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) formed unions, and my understanding is that this ruling won't apply to them. How does this ruling compare to the Yeshiva decision barring tenured full-time faculty at private colleges from organizing?

 
At 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right that the Brown decision does not directly affect public universities. Government run institutions are not "employers" under the NLRA and therefore are not under the jurisdiction of the Board. Generally, labor matters at state-run universities are subject to individual state labor laws. However, my guess is that the decision will have some persuasive effect should the public universities choose to challenge their graduate student unions.

As for Yeshiva, that decision rested on the determination that the faculty at that University were supervisors because they were involved in university governance. This made them ineligible for collective bargaining under the Act, but did not exclude all faculty at every university. In Brown, the Board majority stripped graduate students of their collective bargaining rights, not based on a finding that they were supervisors, but based on a finding that their relationship to the university was not the type of employer-employee relationship encompassed by the Act.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there Peer & Gan, I thought I would check out some blog sites for info I could use at my website. I started out looking for filesharing software related stuff but there's so much info out there about everything, I kind of got lost. I get sidetracked easily these days. Anyway, I'm at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and gotta get back to the search. Had fun and thanks, mike

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there Peer & Gan, I thought I would check out some blog sites for info I could use at my website. I started out looking for mp3 music sharing related stuff but there's so much info out there about everything, I kind of got lost. I get sidetracked easily these days. Anyway, I'm at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and gotta get back to the search. Had fun and thanks, mike

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there Peer & Gan, I thought I would check out some blog sites for info I could use at my website. I started out looking for peer 2 peer related stuff but there's so much info out there about everything, I kind of got lost. I get sidetracked easily these days. Anyway, I'm at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and gotta get back to the search. Had fun and thanks, mike

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi and hello there Peer & Gan, I get sidetracked easily these days. After spending many hours checking out websites looking for peer to peer related info. I decided to try some blog sites. I found much more usable and updated information on the blog related sites than the regular websites...this is very cool. I gotta get me one of these when I find the time. My site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com needed some updated info. After that, I thought I would check out some of the other kind of blog sites. Some are pretty cool. It's been fun. Thanks Peer & Gan, mike

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peer & Gan. Some of these blog sites have more info on them than the regular websites. I've been searching websites looking for peer 2 peer related info, I decided to try blog sites. And it seems like everybody has one but me. Anyway, I'm trying to improve the traffic flow to my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and needed more substantive information I could use but got sidetracked again. Back to my search. Had fun though. Thanks Peer & Gan, Mike

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog site Peer & Gan. While searching websites looking for peer 2 peer related info, I decided to try blog sites. Wow, there are so many of them it's amazing. I never heard of or knew what a blog was until last year. Now they're everywhere. And it seems like everybody but me has one. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and was originally looking for relevant information I could use. Got sidetracked a lttle bit....lol. It was interesting. Thanks Peer & Gan, Mike

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Peer & Gan. You know some of these blog sites have more info on them than regular websites. I've been searching websites looking for filesharing software related info, I decided to try blog sites. And it seems like everybody but me has one. Anyway, I'm trying to improve my site at http://www.p2p-mp3-filesharing.com and needed more substantive information I could use. Got sidetracked a wee bitl. Had fun though. Thanks Peer & Gan, Mike

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Peer & Gan,

After reading your blog "Graduate Students Take a Stand", I believe you will find my site on aptitude tests to be very helpful.

To give you an idea of our wide range, some of the recent searches that found our site included ... example aptitude tests for fire fighting, job skills technical aptitude tests, tips differential aptitude tests battery, differential aptitude tests pass, scholastic aptitude tests sign ups, skilled jobs aptitude tests and defence force aptitude tests.

We have hundreds of study prep guides and aids to help you ace your exams without weeks and months of endless studying.

Kind Regards
Emily

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peer & Gan,

As a result of reading your blog "Graduate Students Take a Stand", I think you will discover my site on aptitude tests a great help.

To illustrate our diverse range of tests, here are some of the latest search terms that located our site ... differential aptitude tests battery, job skills aptitude tests, aptitude tests for electricians, how to take aptitude tests, vocational aptitude assessment tests, passing mechanically inclined aptitude tests and aptitude tests for job interests.

We have over 200 study prep guides and aids to help you sail through your exams without weeks and months of endless studying.

Best Regards
Emily

 
At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peer & Gan, I saw a page listed in a profile at www.SchoolBuddies.com. that talked about high school alumni and somehow it sent me here. I'll check out your site while I'm here. Have a good day. See ya.. Dave.

 
At 2:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peer & Gan,

As a result of reading your blog "Graduate Students Take a Stand", I think you will discover my site on aptitude tests a great help.

To illustrate our diverse range of tests, here are some of the latest search terms that located our site ... differential aptitude tests battery, job skills aptitude tests, aptitude tests for electricians, how to take aptitude tests, vocational aptitude assessment tests, passing mechanically inclined aptitude tests and aptitude tests for job interests.

We have over 200 study prep guides and aids to help you sail through your exams without weeks and months of endless studying.

Best Regards
Emily

 

Post a Comment

<< Home